Supervision is a process towards licensing that requires a commitment to growth in self as a therapist. Supervision includes discussing and analyzing therapeutic experiences from current case load, discussion of theory, clinical practices and techniques, ethical issues and career challenges. This is a supportive environment designed for learning, growth and participation. Supervision can be a resource for studying for the exam, if participating in a group meeting, can build a study group and shared experiences.
Weekly Decompress Group with Interns, Associates and Licensed Therapists
HIPAA Accountability Group
Case Consult Groups
Washington State Supervision Requirements https://doh.wa.gov/licenses-pe...
A minimum of two calendar years of full-time marriage and family therapy, and at least 3,000 hours of experience, 1,000 hours of which must be direct client contact.
- At least 500 hours must be gained in diagnosing and treating couples and families; and At least 200 hours of qualified supervision with an approved supervisor.
- At least 100 of the 200 hours must be one-on-one supervision, and the remaining hours may be in one-on-one or group supervision.
- Of the total supervision, 100 hours must be with a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) who has at least five years clinical experience.
- The other 100 hours may be with a equally qualified licensed mental health practitioner.
- Those who have completed a master’s program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (COAMFTE) will be credited with 500 hours of direct client contact and 100 hours of formal meetings with an approved supervisor."
Hawaii State Supervision Requirements http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/hrs/hrs_pvl_451j.pdf
- 200 Clinical Supervision in not less than 24 months.
- Supervision of no more than 6 persons at the time who are acquiring and completing clinical experience in accordance with section 451J-7(2) and (3)
- Conducted by a licensed marriage and family therapist whose license has been in good standing in any state for two years preceding commencement and during term of supervision; or
- Any licensed mental health professional whose license has been in good standing in any state AND who has been a clinical member in good standing of the Association for the two years preceding commencement and during the term of supervision.
- Supervision includes but is not limited to case consultation of the assessment and diagnosis of presenting problems, development and implementation of treatment plans, and the evaluation of the course of treatment. Clinical supervision may include direct observation by the qualified supervisor of the provision of marriage and family therapy.
Contact me to set up an appointment to discuss supervision. I provide HIPAA compliant online supervision for both Washington and Hawaii as well as in office supervision in my Des Moines, WA office on Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
AAMFT Supervisor Mentoring
A mentor is a current AAMFT Approved Supervisor with Clinical Fellow status in AAMFT. Responsibilities of a mentor are outlined in the AAMFT Approved Supervision Designation: Standards Handbook (https://www.aamft.org/document...) on page 13 . Additionally; a mentor provides responsible supervision following the guidelines of AAMFT Code of Ethics, Washington State laws and regulations in a safe and supportive environment. A mento provides a minimum of 36 hours over 18 months of mentoring or until designation achieved and support, guidance, training and evaluation during the supervisory experience commiserate with educate and training, and to seek consultation if needed.
A candidate is a current AAMFT Clinical Fellow. Responsibilities of a candidate are outlined in the AAMFT Approved Supervision Designation: Standards Handbook on page 10-11. Additionally; a candidate has a contractor with mentor and provides a supervising contract given to supervised clinicians. A candidate attends two mentoring sessions per month for 18 months, on time, adhering to the cancellation policy, and comes prepared. They are responsible for keeping track of their hours, paperwork and responsibilities following the AAMFT Approved Supervision Designation: Standards Handbook. Candidates are open, receptive and interactive during mentoring, addressing any concerns or difficulties immediately. They handle concerns which may include but is not limited to: Ethical Dilemmas in supervision like CPS, DV, Harm to self or others, Legal, clinician indicating hard to self or others, and “Self of Supervisor” issues.
Mentoring is $75 per session. Please email [email protected] for more information.